Here are some of my images from college.

I have been lucky enough to returned to education as a mature student to study fabric design. In the past have made my own clothes, knitted garments and altered clothes to make them up to date or look different. Always taken an interest in fashion, fabric and the construction of garments. Also attended a jewellery design and making course working in silver and gold and still wearing some of my pieces today but gave most of them away as presents ! Spent alot of time restoring old furniture for my home instead of buying new and had some unique stuff !!


Thursday 16 May 2013

Evaluation of my First Year Studying Textiles in Practice



   My year first is nearly over and how fast it has gone!

I was disappointed that I was not able to participate in all four of the options of Textiles in Practice and that I could only choose two of them. When I came for my interview to the University I was under the impression I would be sampling all the options in the first year. I know this is the first year, that students have only been able to choose two options and I feel sad that future students like myself will be so limited. It also reduces the content of the course but saying this, I have really enjoyed my first year at University and sad to see the year come to an end.`

  The two options I chose were Embroidery and Print. Embroidery was quite challenging as I over-embroidered everything I could, but I did learn, ‘less is more’ from this experience. Using hand embroidery was better for me, as it slowed my stitching down, giving me more time to consider what I was doing. Learning to use the machine feet and creating all the different stitches will be very valuable for future use. I enjoyed doing the embroidery workshop and did consider doing embroidery for my degree, until I did the print workshop. I fell in love with print, both screen and digital and I knew during the workshop, this is the subject I want to study for my degree. The techniques I have learnt in the embroidery workshop will be incorporated in my future print designs and will enhance the appearance and texture of the fabrics, creating a 3D element to my work.

   In the print workshop I used the screen method of printing, using a pigment dye mixed with binders and liked the effect on my fabric. I did try some tie dying but it was not very successful so I stayed with screen-printing, which I really enjoyed. The digital workshop using Photoshop was at first a nightmare. Once I got used to program I realized how much I could achieve with it. With Illustrator I really struggle using this program and I still need more tutoring to master it.


    For next year I have decided to study Print. I want to learn how to mix dyes and use them successfully so I can overprint my dyed fabrics. I intend to experiment with acid and reactive dyes for mono printing on silk and other techniques. Learning about screen meshes and the different results achievable when using them.

   I do not know what path my work will take because of my age, but I hope to carry on with my personal creativity and maybe a career will come from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment